Wednesday, March 1, 2017

BRAD ELVIS OF THE HANDCUFFS & THE ROMANTICS-BENEFIT SHOW IN PEORIA-BEIER 1.5 STEEL--6.5 X 14....

Brad Elvis (The Handcuffs, The Romantics) recently performed at a Tribute/Benefit show in Peoria, Illinois where he grew up, and started playing drums. The show was dedicated to a long time musician friend of his-Bob "Whale" Miller, and was at the Limelight Eventplex.

He had along his 1.5 Steel--6.5 x 14 in Gloss White. That is one of four which he has, and has used his 1.5 Steel--5.5 x 14 & 5.5 x 15 live with The Handcuffs and The Romantics as well. Brad is a drummer who carries widespread & incredible respect in the drum community. He is also someone who took time out for me from the first time I met him at a show in Milwaukee. We went down to see The Handcuffs play in a club in Milwaukee which was quite some time ago now. I had one of my drums with me, and was having trouble tuning it....Just could not get it right. I asked him when he was putting his gear away if he had a minute, and he said he said he would when he was done. I think it probably took him about 3 minutes to get that drum right. I had been at it for about an hour, and was coming down to the minute. The guy really saved me....

He also has one of the most unique and entertaining styles in drumming. I always say he is a cross of Keith Moon & Ginger Baker, and that is undeniable when you see him play live. But most importantly...His style is all his own, and completely unique. Every great drummer has their influences, and those two are several of his. But all great players, without exception, develop their own deal, and evolve and stay with it. I have sent messages to drummers on a number of occasions that I know will be at a show, or on the bill where he is playing to check him out. It is just something you don't want to miss.

Great hearing from you as always Brad....Thank You for everything. Huge Thank You going out to Tim Lindenbaum for the below shot of Brad at the benefit. I really appreciate you allowing use of this image...It is awesome.










No comments:

Post a Comment