Saturday, March 23, 2024

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ROCK LEGEND ANDY PARKER OF UFO-BEIER 1.5 STEEL SERIES.....

Wishing a very Happy Birthday to Andy Parker of UFO from Elizabeth and myself! 

I have known and worked with Andy for many, many years now, she has known them for even longer, and her and I miss seeing him and the band hugely. There is so much to remember over the years. So many shows, trips, and records...It really was a magical and musical time. I was thrilled as well that images of Andy and his Beier Drums were in both of Martin Popoff' excellent books on UFO.  Her and I travelled to numerous shows including Scotland to meet up with Sam Lumsden and Thomas Nussbaum from Germany. We also were in Greece for their final show, which sadly did not take place.

Andy has used Beier Snare Drums exclusively for at least the last 15 years, and utilized them on their studio records as well. The 1.5 Steel--5.5 x 14 was his long time main for his European kit, the 1.5 Steel--6.5 x 14 for his US kit. That drum was one of the very first 6.5 x 14 drums I produced. In later years he chose the 1.5 Steel--8 x 14 for his live work in Europe, and in the US.

Her and I, along with fans worldwide, are so hoping this legendary and massively influential band will perform live again. I talk to Andy regularly, and we keep updated on all of the side projects with the band members. I was an enormous fan of UFO as a kid, and used to practice playing to their records. Andy was one of my drum heroes. I saw them in 1976 for the first time, and over 40 years later I would show him the ticket. He remembered the show, and I am quite sure as I remember that was their first time in the US. To be sitting here decades later writing all of this is one of those unbelievable boomerangs in life. It really takes me back.  

Happy Birthday my friend...We both hope to see you sometime somewhere soon!































 

No comments:

Post a Comment