Friday, January 27, 2017

MARK BECKETT-OLIVIA NEWTON JOHN IN VEGAS-NEW RECORD-BEIER.1 5 STEEL--4 X 15.....

Olivia Newton John's "Summer Nights" in Las Vegas ended for the season December 2016 (first pic below), but will start up again this Spring along with additional live dates around the country. Mark Beckett is home in Nashville, and is back in his seat at the Grand Ole Opry which he shares with Eddie Bayer's. He is also a first call Nashville Session player, and is one of  Nashville's overall greats.

Mark has many of my drums, and he keeps them in continual use. The 1.5 Steel--4 x 15, his conception, has been his main snare for the last two years with Olivia, along with using his 1.5 Steel--5.5 x 14 & 7.5 x 14 live with her. Several clips from him, that I have watched more times than I can count, are with him live with Olivia in Vegas, and him live with Steve Cropper with his 1.5 Steel--5.5 x 14. All of these can be found in my Video Links section, and my Video section of this site. He also has used all of my drums extensively for sessions. That brings me to this....

Late 2016 "Liv On" was released with Amy Sky-Olivia Newton John & Beth Nielsen Chapman, and he used his 1.5 Steel--4 x 15 on this record. It can be difficult to describe a record in several sentences, but to condense...This is a very powerful record. The intention was to aid people in grief that have experienced the loss of someone that they love. It is so sincere, and so real...You know that instantly. These ladies truly meant this record. Their singing is angelic, and the music is simply stunning. It is more of a late-night record, but I find myself taking it with me in the car when I am on the road as well. To have a player like Mark Beckett use my drum on this record....Is truly something I will never forget. I bought a download, and a CD. I just wish this was available on vinyl. I know it is 2017 in the record business. It is just a record that I would love to put on a turntable and bring even more of it out. 

I will admit, I have wondered often about the cross-sticking on my drums. While nothing can compare to the sound of Pete Stanbridge's hoops...I find myself thinking about it on and off. I have discussed this with many players, and they all seem to love the cross-sticking on the drums. The most recent discussion was with David Northrup. Several examples on this record stand out to me, but the title track "Liv On," and Mark's cross-sticking put my mind at ease. That was one of several "wow" drum moments on this record, as well as the way he tuned the drum for "Stone In My Pocket" & "Impossible". His 1.5 Steel--4 x 15....is truly brought out on this record.

Wanted to issue a big Congratulations to Mark as well on his recent endorsement with Pearl Drums. According to him...It has always been a life-long ambition to be a Pearl Artist, and it has to be said...Pearl is very lucky to have him. Really looking forward to his posts on his new gear from them.

Congrats Again Mark....Thank You.....