Thursday, September 8, 2016

DUNNETT CLASSIC DRUMS WINS INTERNATIONAL TITANIUM ASSOCIATION APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT AWARD FOR 2016...

I saw this recently, and just simply had to acknowledge this. Ronn Dunnett, owner of Dunnett Classic Drums, recently was the recipient of the International Titanium Association Application Development Award for 2016. This is very significant on a number of levels.

First of all, this is a very prestigious award from an organization that covers virtually all areas of industry, science, and engineering. Secondly, it is an award that is long overdue for Ronn Dunnett. Ronn introduced his Titanium Snare Drum in 1991, and has spent the last 25 years promoting the attributes of this metal within our industry. That, in and of itself, is an incredible feat. In this business...different ideas come and go so fast....It is hard to even notice them sometimes.

History does matter. Noble & Cooley gave us single-ply steambent shells & hybrid shells. Pete Stanbridge gave us segmented block snare drums and wood hoops that are unsurpassed in construction, and sound...Particularly cross sticking. John Aldridge revived the art of engraving on drums from the early 20th century, and literally transformed it. His work is astonishing. I got to meet him recently at a show. That was great, he is royalty to me in this business. And Ronn Dunnett has made a huge contribution with his Titanium drums. Innovation always spurns others to follow on their trail. That is a good thing for the business, players, and music in general. But it is imperative I think to give credit where it is due, remember the origin of that innovation, and certainly acknowledge it. For myself, I set out to reintroduce the 15" snare drum to the industry, and am so grateful I have received that type of press on that already. That is another post that I will be doing shortly. 

I have never met Ronn, and do not know him. Have traded several emails with him over his R4 Strainer which I have used, and really, really like. I was supposed to be at the Chicago Drum Show, but as usual...I got pulled in a different direction. I really enjoy these events because it gives me a chance to meet so many people in this business I otherwise would not have the chance to. Hopefully next year.....

Congratulations Again Ronn....